The Bureau of the FIFA Council has at present taken a number of essential choices regarding upcoming FIFA competitions.
Following the wonderful success of the 2019 version, the choice was taken final yr to develop the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ to 32 groups and thus proceed to foster the expansion of ladies’s soccer. FIFA has since labored intently with the confederations to formulate a proposal for the allocation of slots and the Bureau of the FIFA Council has at present confirmed the next berths for the 2023 version:
Direct slot allocation (29 of the 32 participation slots)
- 6 direct slots for the AFC;
- 4 direct slots for CAF;
- 4 direct slots for Concacaf;
- 3 direct slots for CONMEBOL;
- 1 direct slot for the OFC; and
- 11 direct slots for UEFA.
The two host international locations, Australia and New Zealand, will robotically qualify for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™, and their slots have been taken straight from the quotas allotted to their confederations, specifically the AFC and the OFC respectively.
Play-off match slot allocation (3)
The three remaining slots shall be determined by means of a ten-crew play-off match with the next play-off slot allocation:
- 2 play-off slots for the AFC;
- 2 play-off slots for CAF;
- 2 play-off slots for Concacaf;
- 2 play-off slots for CONMEBOL;
- 1 play-off slot for the OFC; and
- 1 play-off slot for UEFA.
Play-off match format
Four groups shall be seeded within the match based mostly on the newest FIFA/Coca-Cola Women’s World Ranking prior to the play-off draw, with a most of 1 seeded crew per confederation.
- In Group 1, comprising three groups, seed 1 will play for a spot within the FIFA Women’s World Cup in opposition to the winners of the knockout recreation involving the 2 unseeded groups within the group.
- In Group 2, comprising three groups, seed 2 will play for a spot within the FIFA Women’s World Cup in opposition to the winners of the knockout recreation involving the 2 unseeded groups within the group.
- In Group 3, comprising 4 groups, seeds 3 and seed 4 will play in opposition to the 2 unseeded groups within the group, with the 2 winners then enjoying for a spot within the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Teams from the identical confederation won’t be permitted to be drawn in the identical group.
The play-off match shall be used as a check occasion in Australia and New Zealand for the FIFA Women’s World Cup, and each hosts shall be invited to take part in pleasant matches in opposition to the groups in Group 1 and Group 2, thereby guaranteeing that every one groups play two matches in the course of the play-off match.
FIFA U-20 World Cup™ and FIFA U-17 World Cup™
As a results of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Bureau of the FIFA Council has determined to cancel the 2021 editions of the men’s FIFA U-20 World Cup™ and FIFA U-17 World Cup™, and to appoint Indonesia and Peru respectively, who have been due to host the tournaments in 2021, because the hosts of the 2023 editions.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to current challenges for the internet hosting of worldwide sporting occasions and to have a restrictive impact on worldwide journey. FIFA has due to this fact often consulted the related stakeholders, together with the host member associations in addition to the confederations concerned in each tournaments initially scheduled to happen in 2021. In doing so, it grew to become clear that the worldwide state of affairs has failed to normalise to a enough stage to handle the challenges related to internet hosting each tournaments, together with the feasibility of the related qualification pathways.
FIFA would really like to categorical its gratitude to the host member associations, in addition to the authorities in Indonesia and Peru, for his or her dedication and the match preparations made thus far. FIFA seems to be ahead to persevering with to work intently along with the host international locations to organise profitable tournaments.