- Diego Maradona handed away, aged 60, on 25 November 2020
- Lionel Messi, Pele and Gianni Infantino hailed the Argentina legend
- FIFA pays tribute to Diego with movies, quotes, trivia and stats
Gianni hails Diego
“I always said it and I can just repeat it now, more convinced than ever: What Diego has done for football, for making all of us fall in love with this beautiful game, is unique. It is, as he is, simply immense,” stated an emotional FIFA President Gianni Infantino upon the passing of Maradona. Read Infantino’s full feedback beneath.
Messi and Pele lead the Maradona homages
Lionel Messi: “It’s a very sad day for all Argentinians and for football. He leaves us but he doesn’t leave us, because Diego is eternal. I will keep all the beautiful moments I lived through with him, and I want to take this opportunity to send my condolences to all his family and friends. RIP.”
Pele: “What sad news. I have lost a great friend and the world has lost a legend. There’s still so much to be said, but for now, may God give strength to his relatives. One day I hope we can play football together in the sky.”
See what numerous different soccer personalities, together with Didier Drogba, Paulo Dybala, Diego Forlan, Roger Milla, Lothar Matthaus, Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo, stated about Maradona following his passing beneath.
The Godfather could have been adorned by the magnificence of Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Sterling Hayden, Diane Keaton and others, however it’s best keep in mind for arguably the best appearing efficiency of all time: Marlon Brando’s portrayal of Vito Corleone.
Likewise, whereas Emilio Butragueno, Preben Elkjaer, Enzo Francescoli, Gary Lineker, Michel Platini, Preben Elkjaer and Zico dazzled at Mexico 1986, it’s best remembered for arguably the best World Cup marketing campaign of all time, courtesy of Diego Maradona. Narrated by film legend Sir Michael Caine, 1986 FIFA World Cup™: The Official Film is monopolised by one mesmerising expertise. Watch it beneath…
Maradona holds the document for struggling essentially the most fouls in a World Cup (53 at Mexico 1986) and essentially the most fouls in a single match (23 in opposition to Italy at Spain 1982) – unbelievable contemplating how a lot stricter officers are lately. Overall, he received 152 free-kicks on the World Cup – Jairzinho received the following-most at 64.
The Goal of the Century
“Maradona on the ball now,” commentator Victor Hugo Morales told million of listeners as the Argentina No10 collected possession in the 55th minute of a Mexico 1986 quarter-final against England. “Two closing him down. Maradona rolls his foot over the ball and breaks away down the right, the genius of world football. He goes past a third, looks for Burruchaga. Maradona forever! Genius! Genius! Genius! He’s still going… Gooooal! Sorry, I want to cry! Good God! Long live football! What a goal! A memorable run from Maradona. The greatest solo goal of all time. Cosmic Kite, which planet did you come from?”
Most World Cup appearances as captain
|Uwe Seeler||West Germany||12|
|Lothar Matthaus||West Germany/Germany||12|
Maradona was within the midst of an interview in regards to the World Cup when FIFA stunned him with the Trophy he lifted on the Azteca. His response was priceless!
Did you realize?
- Diego Maradona is the one man in historical past to break his personal world switch document. Barcelona paid Boca Juniors £3 million in 1982 to make ‘El Pibe de Oro’ the most costly footballer of all time, smashing the £1.75 million Juventus paid Vicenza for Paolo Rossi in 1976. Two years later Napoli spent £5 million on Maradona – a document which remained till Ruud Gullit joined AC Milan from PSV for £6 million three years later.
- After an distinctive efficiency in 1983, Maradona grew to become the primary-ever Barcelona participant to obtain a standing ovation from the Real Madrid followers on the Bernabeu.
- When Maradona arrived at Napoli in 1984 they’d received just one main title of their 58-12 months historical past: the 1961/62 Coppa Italia. In his seven years there, I Partenopei received two Serie A crowns, a Coppa Italia, an Italian Super Cup and the 1988/89 UEFA Cup, wherein Maradona impressed a 5-4 mixture win over a Jurgen Klinsmann-spearheaded Stuttgart within the closing.
- Maradona and Lionel Messi are the one gamers to have received the adidas Golden Ball on the FIFA U-20 World Cup™ and the World Cup.
- Maradona is certainly one of solely three South Americans to have scored in World Cups 12 years aside. Pele and Lionel Messi are the others.
- Diego’s two youthful brothers have been each footballers. Hugo performed within the high flights in Italy and Spain, whereas Raul represented Boca Juniors and Granada.
- Maradona grew to become the fourth man to go to 5 World Cups as a participant or head coach when he led Argentina at South Africa 2010. He emulated Mario Zagallo, Franz Beckenbauer and Berti Vogts.
Maradona is the one man to register 5 objectives and 5 assists in a single World Cup. He was straight concerned in 71 per cent of Argentina’s objectives at Mexico 1986 – the second-finest ratio for a triumphant crew behind David Villa (75 per cent for Spain in 2010). No participant within the historical past of the competitors has created extra probabilities than ‘El Pelusa’ (66).
- Argentina president Alberto Fernandez declared three days of nationwide mourning.
- At the urging of FIFA, matches from internationally within the days after Diego’s demise held one minute’s silence in his honour earlier than kick-off.
- Before a rugby union take a look at match between New Zealand and Argentina three days after Maradona’s passing, the All Blacks carried out a haka in his honour and laid certainly one of their jerseys, with Maradona 10 on the again, down on the pitch.
- After scoring in a win over Osasuna, Messi eliminated his Barcelona shirt to reveal a Newell’s Old Boys one – the opposite membership each males represented – and pointed to the sky.
- Napoli renamed their stadium the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.