- Boca, Palmeiras, River and Santos have 14 Libertadores crowns between them
- Three of the 4 have reached the semi-finals throughout the final two seasons
- The closing will happen on the Maracana on 30 January
South American giants Boca Juniors, Santos, River Plate and Palmeiras have made it to the Copa Libertadores 2020 semi-finals, and can probably have already got one eye on the ultimate, which will probably be held within the legendary Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. With the final-4 encounters simply across the nook, FIFA.com takes a have a look at how every group superior from their respective quarter-closing.
Boca flip tie round at house
- First leg: Racing Club 1-0 Boca Juniors
- Second leg: Boca Juniors 2-0 Racing Club
Boca Juniors performed extraordinarily effectively within the second leg towards Racing, overcoming a primary-leg deficit in a knockout tie for the primary time since 2007 and qualifying for their third consecutive semi-closing for the primary time of their historical past.
Although Carlos Tevez stood out, it was Eduardo Salvio who once more proved instrumental, opening the scoring for his sixth aim of the event, the very best tally by a Boca participant within the Libertadores since Martin Palermo netted seven instances in 2008.
Did you recognize?
- Miguel Russo is in his second spell answerable for Boca. He was on the helm when the membership final lifted the trophy in 2007.
- Among the groups nonetheless within the working, Los Xeneizes have conceded the fewest targets: three, one fewer than Palmeiras.
Santos protecting a low profile
- First leg: Gremio 1-1 Santos
- Second leg: Santos 4-1 Gremio
With a minimal of fuss, O Peixe defeated some of the constant groups of the previous couple of years and moved on to the semi-finals for the primary time since 2012. Under the tutelage of Cuca, who steered Atletico Mineiro to the continental title in 2013, Santos have quietly stepped up a gear every time they’ve wanted to up to now through the event, however they’ll not be capable of fly beneath the radar in these latter phases.
Against Gremio, Kaio Jorge performed a key position, scoring thrice over the 2 legs – his two targets within the return match have been his first at house for the membership. With 5 targets in 9 video games, the precocious teen is his group’s prime scorer within the competitors. Santos’s defensive rigour can’t be understated both, nevertheless: they noticed off the problem of Gremio regardless of registering a possession share of slightly below 31 per cent.
Did you recognize?
- It took Kaio Jorge exactly 11 seconds to attain the opener within the second leg, making his opportunistic strike the joint-fifth quickest aim in Copa Libertadores historical past.
- Kaio Jorge (5) and Marinho (4) have scored 53 per cent of Santos’s targets (9 out of 17).
Palmeiras go from power to power
- First leg: Libertad 1-1 Palmeiras
- Second leg: Palmeiras 3-0 Libertad
Palmeiras, the most effective group within the group stage and the one aspect nonetheless unbeaten, absolutely demonstrated their maturity and solidity versus Paraguayan outfit Libertad, who carried out higher than their standing of worst second-positioned group advised, however who paid dearly for each mistake they made. The Brazilians have been attacking with menace recently, scoring a median of three targets of their final 4 matches.
With Portuguese tactician Abel Ferreira on the helm, O Verdão have gone ten video games with out defeat within the 2020 Copa Libertadores, equalling their greatest-ever run within the event, besides this time they’ve managed it throughout a single version, fairly than throughout two successive competitions. It is not any nice shock, due to this fact, to see them within the semis for the second time in three years.
Did you recognize?
- Brazilian ahead Rony recorded a aim and an help – his seventh of the event – within the second leg versus Libertad. The latter achievement despatched him joint prime of the assists desk alongside River Plate striker Matias Suarez.
- Rony, who turned 25 earlier this 12 months, additionally boasts 4 targets within the Copa, and has due to this fact performed an element in 11 of his aspect’s 29 targets (38 per cent).
River Plate’s insatiable urge for food
- First leg: River 2-0 Nacional
- Second leg: Nacional 2-6 River
Last season’s runners-up are the one group of the remaining quartet who’ve reached the semi-finals for the final 4 years in a row. In truth, that is the fifth time in six years that Los Millonarios have gotten to this stage – they ultimately held aloft the trophy in 2015 and 2018 – they usually now have their sights set on a 3rd consecutive Copa closing look, a feat final achieved by Sao Paulo virtually three many years in the past (1992 to 1994).
The man tasked with this taxing project is Marcelo Gallardo, who has but once more discovered a means of revamping his a lot-admired group. Consequently, regardless of lacking key gamers resembling Enzo Perez and Ignacio Fernandez, River comfortably disposed of Nacional, giving youthful stars like Uruguayan Nicolas De La Cruz and Colombian Jorge Carrascal an opportunity to shine.
Did you recognize?
- River are essentially the most prolific group left within the event, having racked up 31 targets in ten encounters, three wanting the twenty first century file (34 in 14) set by Sao Paulo in 2005. Their prime scorers to date are Rafael Santos Borre (six targets), who notched a hat-trick within the quarter-closing second leg, and Julian Alvarez (5).
- Gonzalo Montiel, who performs at proper-again for River, offered three assists over the 2 matches with Nacional. He has six assists within the event as a complete, a complete that places him simply behind his group-mate, Matias Suarez, and Palmeiras’ Rony, who each lead the sector with seven.
Semi-final fixtures (all instances native)
River Plate vs. Palmeiras
- First leg: 05/01/2021 (9.30 pm)
- Second leg: 12/01/2021 (9.30 pm)
Boca Juniors vs. Santos
- First leg: 06/01/2021 (7.15 pm)
- Second leg: 13/01/2021 (7.15 pm)