- Decision prioritises gamers’ welfare
- Concussion substitutions attainable no matter substitutes already used
- In addition, groups allowed to make up to 5 regular substitutions per recreation
FIFA has right this moment confirmed that it’s going to trial further everlasting substitutions for circumstances of precise or suspected concussion at the FIFA Club World Cup™, which is due to happen in Qatar from 1 to 11 February 2021, thus changing into the primary worldwide competitors to take a look at the process.
Following FIFA’s enter and intensive session with key stakeholders, the protocols for concussion substitutes had been accepted at The IFAB’s Annual Business Meeting (ABM) in December 2020 with a view to:
- sending a robust message that, if in any doubt, the participant needs to be withdrawn;
- stopping a participant sustaining one other concussion throughout the match, as a number of head-damage incidents can have very critical penalties;
- lowering the stress on medical personnel to make a fast evaluation; and
- establishing a easy process that may be utilized at all ranges of the sport.
In line with The IFAB’s round no. 21, FIFA will implement a protocol wherein every workforce can be permitted to use a most of 1 concussion substitute in a match; this substitution can be in a position to be made whatever the variety of substitutes already used.
The trial of concussion substitutes can be utilized along side the competitors laws and the return-to-sport technique outlined within the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool (SCAT 5).
Teams taking part within the FIFA Club World Cup can be allowed to make up to 5 regular substitutions per recreation. To keep away from disruption to the sport, every workforce will solely have three alternatives to make substitutions; substitutions can also be made at half-time.
The short-term modification to Law 3 – The Players to this impact was initially launched by The IFAB in May 2020 primarily based on a proposal acquired from FIFA in search of to defend participant welfare. Extensions of the modification had been not too long ago accepted at The IFAB’s ABM.
Draw on 19 January
The FIFA Club World Cup match schedule is out there right here. The draw to finalise the detailed pairings will happen on 19 January at 16:00 CET in Zurich.
In mild of the COVID-19 pandemic, FIFA and the host nation will present the required safeguards to defend the well being and security of all concerned within the competitors, together with the total implementation of FIFA’s Return to Football – International Match Protocol.